North Korea Releases Its Own ‘IPad’ which contains 40 Apps only

A North Korean tech company has launched its own tablet computer, called the “Ryonghung iPad.”
Despite the similarities in name, the tablet doesn’t have much in common with Apple’s well-known gadget .

Kim Jong Un

According to an advertising campaign spotted in a foreign trade magazine, the North Korean iPad only has 40 apps to choose from and 8GB of internal storage space.

However, it will allow users to look at documents and “read different sources of digital information” as well as coming with a keyboard attachment.

According to the advertising campaign, the tablet was first revealed at a North Korean expo in 2016 and has become massively popular among North Koreans.

Among the apps are a calculator, a dictionary and a farming app. There is also an app that comes on an SD card that can “diagnose up to 1,200 ailments.”

It’s unlikely the company behind the tablet, Myohyang IT, will be attempting to market the Ryonghung iPad outside of North Korea.

Norht Korea scares U.S., others with new anti-aircraft system

North Korea scares U.S., others with new anti-aircraft system

North Korea tested a new anti-aircraft system that leader Kim Jong Un says will “completely spoil the enemy’s dream to command the air,” the state news agency reported Sunday, following weeks of ballistic missile tests.

The KCNA news agency said glitches detected in an earlier test have been “perfectly overcome,” paving the way for the weapon to be mass produced and deployed nationwide, according to SkyNews.

State media reported the new weapon system is designed to “detect and strike different targets flying from any location.”

The latest test was attended by Kim Jong Un, in addition to three men believed to be the top officials in the reclusive country’s missile program.

The three men were identified by Reuters as Ri Pyong Chol, a former top air force general; Kim Jong Sik, a veteran rocket scientist; and Jang Chang Ha, the head of the Academy of National Defense Science, a weapons development and procurement centre.

North Korean state media said the weapons system would stop hostile nations “boasting of air supremacy and weapon almighty.”

On Friday, officials said the Pentagon will try to shoot down an intercontinental-range missile for the first time in a test this week.

The goal is to more closely simulate a North Korean ICBM aimed at the U.S. homeland, officials said.

North Korea is now the focus of U.S. efforts because its leader has vowed to field a nuclear-armed missile capable of reaching American territory.

He has yet to test an intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM, but Pentagon officials believe he is speeding in that direction.

Marine Lt. Gen. Vincent Stewart, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, said last week that “left unchecked,” Kim will eventually succeed.

The Pentagon’s Missile Defense Agency, which is responsible for developing and testing the system, has scheduled the intercept test for Tuesday.

An interceptor is to be launched from an underground silo at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and soar toward the target, which will be fired from a test range on Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific.

If all goes as planned, the “kill vehicle” will slam into the ICBM-like target’s mock warhead high over the Pacific Ocean.

The target will be a custom-made missile meant to simulate an ICBM, meaning it will fly faster than missiles used in previous intercept tests, according to Christopher Johnson, spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency.

The target is not a mock-up of an actual North Korean ICBM.

“We conduct increasingly complex test scenarios as the program matures and advances,” Johnson said Friday. “Testing against an ICBM-type threat is the next step in that process.”

Source: Fox News

Africa’s 1st nanosatellite to be launched by Nigeria

Sat

Nigeria is to launch Africa’s first nanosatellite (an artificial satellite with a wet mass between one and 10 kg 2.2–22 lb)  into the orbit, the Director-General of National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA), Prof Seidu Mohammed, has said.

Mohammed told the Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York that the Nigeria’s nanosatellite would be launched alongside four other countries between May 23 to May 27.

The NASRDA chief disclosed that the nanosatellite would be launched “within the window of May 23 and 27” from the launch base at Miami, Florida, U.S.

According to him, the latest satellite to be launched is another feat achieved by the Nigerian engineers.

Mohammed said: “Nigeria, along with other four countries – Japan, Ghana, Bangladesh and Nepal – in the last one year, came together to work in a constellation to build about five nanosatellites.

“You may ask ‘what are these nanosatellites for?’ It’s a scientific satellite that is to study environmental parameters.

“They would help in most of these environmental issues to study them – environmental characterization.

“In addition to that, they would also be carrying camera that would acquire some form of data.

“And what we have also demonstrated by this is the fact that Nigerian engineers and scientists earlier built Nigerian Sat-X using the laboratory in Missouri.

“They’ve gone ahead again to build nanosatellite in the laboratory in Kyushu University in Japan and all these are parts of efforts to sustain technology already transferred to Nigerian scientists and engineers”.

The NASRDA chief said in addition to the feat achieved by the Nigerian engineers, there was the need to encourage the youth to take career in space science and technology.

“Those nanosatellites, each time they are within the Nigerian territory, would be singing National Anthem.

“So those who carry UHF radio would be able to receive it and all these are part of Nigeria’s efforts,” he said.

The space chief also declared that Nigeria would be a space power by 2030, sending an astronaut into space from Nigerian-owned launch facility on Nigeria’s soil.

According to him, the engineers that design and launch Nigerian satellites are at the Centre for Satellite Technology Development at NASRDA.

“There is a ‘Roadmap for Development of Space Science and Technology’ ending in 2030.

“We hope by 2030, facilities for launch would have been provided in Nigeria so that by that year, we would have launched satellite from Nigeria into space.”

He expressed optimism that with the current efforts of the Minister of Science and Technology, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, the plan would be actualized.

“We would be able to complete our Assembling, Integration, Testing and Design before 2018, and by 2022, most of these efforts would begin to crystallize.

“The large-scale commercialization of space equipment would be possible in our country, and by 2030, we believe that there would be a launching facility from our country.

“We believe before 2030, there will be need for Nigeria to be an international space station,” the NASRDA chief said.

He commended the team of engineers scientists at NASRDA, saying efforts are ongoing to ensure that by 2018, the first satellite would roll out of the agency’s facility.

According to him, NASRDA remains the number one space agency in Africa, adding it has so far launched five satellites – three earth observation satellites and two communication satellites.

NAN reports that NASRDA since inception in 2001 had launched five satellites.

The first satellite, NigeriaSat-I, an international disaster monitoring constellation satellite, built by a UK-based satellite technology company, Surrey Space Technology Limited, was launched in 2003.

NigComSat-I, the second Nigerian satellite was ordered and built in China in 2004; it was Africa’s first communication satellite, launched on May 13, 2007.

NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X, which, respectively, were the third and fourth built by Surrey Space Technology Limited., were launched in Aug. 17, 2011.

The fifth, NigComSat-1R was launched by China on Dec. 19, 2011.

US, Russia Looking Into Clues Suggesting North Korea Is Behind Global Cyber Attack

Kim Jung Un

Software companies in the US and Russia have said the North Korea-linked Lazarus Group may be behind a global cyber attack.

Symantec Corp and Kaspersky Lab said yesterday they were looking into clues that may connect the global “ransomware” attack known as WannaCry with programs previously attributed to East Asian country.
The two companies said some code in an earlier version of the WannaCry ransomware – which has encrypted data on hundreds of thousands of computers since Friday and demanded users pay money to regain control of their machines – had also appeared in programmes used by the Lazarus Group.
The North Korean mission to the United Nations was not immediately available for comment.

WannaCry ransomware cyber-attack ‘may have N Korea link’

The WannaCry malware threatens to delete users' data unless they pay a ransom

Who was behind the huge global cyber-attack? One prominent theory right now is North Korea – but what we know is far from conclusive.

You may not have heard of the Lazarus Group, but you may be aware of its work. The devastating hack on Sony Pictures in 2014, and another on a Bangladeshi bank in 2016, have both been attributed to the highly sophisticated group.

It is widely believed that the Lazarus Group worked out of China, but on behalf of the North Koreans.

Security experts are now cautiously linking the Lazurus Group to this latest attack after a discovery by Google security researcher Neel Mehta. He found similarities between code found within WannaCry – the software used in the hack – and other tools believed to have been created by the Lazarus Group in the past.

It’s a mere slither of evidence, but there are other clues to consider too.

Security expert Prof Alan Woodward pointed out to me via email that time stamps within the original WannaCry code are set to UTC +9 – China’s time zone – and the text demanding the ransom uses what reads like machine-translated English, but a Chinese segment apparently written by a native speaker.

“As you can see it’s pretty thin and all circumstantial,” Prof Woodward said.

“However, it’s worth further investigation.” READ MORE

Microsoft: Cyber-attack a ‘wake-up call’

Next cyber-attack could be imminent, warn experts

A cyber-attack that has hit 150 countries since Friday should be treated by governments around the world as a “wake-up call”, Microsoft says.

The computing giant said software vulnerabilities hoarded by governments had caused “widespread damage”.

The latest virus exploits a flaw in a version of Microsoft Windows first identified by US intelligence.

There have been warnings of further “ransomware” attacks as people return to work on Monday.

Many firms have had experts working over the weekend to prevent new infections. The virus took control of users’ files and demanded $300 (£230) payments to restore access.

The spread of the virus slowed over the weekend but the respite might only be brief, experts have said. More than 200,000 computers have been affected so far.

But on Monday South Korea said just nine cases of ransomware had been found, giving no further details.

Australian officials said so far only three small-to-medium sized businesses had reported being locked out of their systems while New Zealand’s ministry of business said a small number of unconfirmed incidents were being investigated.

A statement from Microsoft president and chief legal officer Brad Smith on Sunday criticised the way governments store up information about security flaws in computer systems.

“We have seen vulnerabilities stored by the CIA show up on WikiLeaks, and now this vulnerability stolen from the NSA has affected customers around the world,” he wrote.

“An equivalent scenario with conventional weapons would be the US military having some of its Tomahawk missiles stolen.”

He added: “The governments of the world should treat this attack as a wake-up call.”

Microsoft said it had released a Windows security update in March to tackle the problem involved in the latest attack, but many users were yet to run it.

“As cybercriminals become more sophisticated, there is simply no way for customers to protect themselves against threats unless they update their systems,” Mr Smith said.

‘Nigerian made speed limiter ‘superior’ than imported ones’ – Minister

'Nigerian made speed limiter 'superior' than imported ones’ – Minister

The speed limiting device being manufactured in Nigeria is better and cheaper than the imported ones, the Minister of Science and Technology, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, has said.

Onu, who spoke with the Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York, said that made-in-Nigeria device was a research product where Nigerians in Diaspora could make legitimate money.

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) began the enforcement of the installation of the device in commercial vehicles in February.

“Our Road Safety Corps has mandated all our commercial vehicles to deploy speed limiting devices and we import this; each one costs an average of N40,000.

“So, for just one million vehicles, we are looking at N40 billion, that’s the business.

“But ultimately, this enforcement will go round, so if you have 10 million to 20 million vehicles, you can imagine looking at almost N800 billion businesses.

“One of our agencies, Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), brought the device to me; it is better than the best that is being brought into the country.

“And I still asked them to go and work and get it to be cheaper and better,” he said.

Onu, however, said that the Federal Government wanted Nigerian investors, particularly those in the Diaspora, to now take the research product and commercialise it.

“Now, we need people like you to come and commercialise it and make the money. This is the message.

“We have taken the risk off you; we have done the research and we have the product, then you come, we will give it to you.

“I will prefer as a minister to give it to a Nigerian than to give it to a multinational corporation, I will prefer to do so.

“Because all the money will remain in Nigeria and the President is very determined, he wants to make sure that all persons, all Nigerians who want to work can work.

“There’s no other way we are going to create these jobs unless we commercialise our research findings,” he said.

The minister regretted pressure on the Naira, saying the currency had been fallen because the country depended too much on imported commodities.

“We now depend on importing everything into the country, including toothpicks. So the pressure on the currency is too much,” he said.

Acknowledging the efforts of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to defend the Naira, Onu said “Nigeria must start producing at home” adding that there was no shortcut to stronger Naira but local production.

(NAN)