Goodluck Jonathan is expected to appear as Sambo Dasuki’s witness after the former said he didn’t believe the former national security adviser stole $2.2 billion meant for the purchase of arms.
Dasuki has been in detention after he was accused of misappropriating money meant for arms with many Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) members implicated.
However, the former president speaking on Monday, October 24, at the famous Oxford Union, Oxford United Kingdom, on youth entrepreneurship argued that allegations about the $2.2 scam was faulty because his administration, where Dasuki served bought warships, aircraft and a lot of equipment for the military during the period.
He said: “I don’t believe somebody can just steal $2.2 billion; we bought warships, we bought aircraft, we bought lots of weapons for the army and so on and so forth and you are still saying 2.2billion, so where did we get the money to buy all those things?”
Jonathan’s statement has caught the attention of Dasuki’s defence team who hope to invite him as a witness and possible exonerate the former national security adviser.
The Nation reports that Mr. Ahmed Raji who is the consel to Dasuki said he wanted Jonathan to testify in court.
He said: “It will be desirable for Jonathan to testify for the ex-NSA. It will throw greater light into grey areas. And it will serve the interest of Justice.
“It will be fantastic for him to go to court to testify. Dasuki is an agent of a disclosed and known principal.”
Another member of the legal team said: “With what Jonathan said in London, the only logical thing for him to do is to see it through.
“We want Jonathan to follow-through. If he backs out, it will be bad.”
Raji however said that due to the characters involved, a political solution would be better than a trial.
“But, frankly speaking, I pray for a political solution to the problem because of the characters involved.
“Both the accused and the government should embrace a political solution to the problem.”
”I believe the President is very sincere. He wants to reorganise Nigeria and he deserves the support of all.
“With a political solution, Mr. President will be in good stead to overcome unnecessary distractions in order to succeed.
“I pray that everybody will key into his vision and the economic challenges facing the nation.”
The political solution will make it possible for Dasuki not to reveal the names of key people who also received money from him as it has been revealed that a former head of state and a top monarch in the north.
Another source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said Jonathan’s remark in London will be valuable in court.
“All is set for the defence of Dasuki, who is still insisting on an open trial to let Nigerians know the beneficiaries of the arms cash.
“One of those who may testify is ex-President Goodluck Jonathan whose remarks in London appeared to be the first phase of the war chest of the ex-NSA.
“You know the ex-NSA said he acted on Jonathan’s instructions in disbursing some of the cash. And from the look of things, the ex-President is now ready to accept responsibility for whatever Dasuki did.
“We believe it has reached a level that Nigerians must know what really happened, how funds were disbursed and who got what.
“This is why a secret trial is not a viable option, with the way things are going.”
“So far, we have secured the consent of Jonathan to appear in court for Dasuki. This will make the trial worth it.”